Thursday, February 11, 2016

Should Iza Four Letter Word

There is one, and only one use of the word 'should' I accept as valid: where it's predicting the result of a cause and effect relationship based on careful observation. Even in this use, it denotes less than a 100% chance of the effect happening.

If you light the fuse, then the dynamite should explode.

It should explode, meaning that most of the time you can expect an explosion, sometimes every now and then you can expect a dud and then once in a blue moon, there's Bob.
Despite being a Satanist, I can't get behind this creed
from the Temple of Satan. Too many "shoulds." And,
even though I generally like what ToS does, I can't
help but think someone missed the point of the phrase
"Whoever says 'thou shalt' is my enemy."

In any other instance it's one of the most obscene words in the English language because it immediately denotes that whoever speaks it isn't quite in touch with reality. They more than likely are in touch with their deep inner self -- via their head shoved up their ass.

The first is descriptive -- it describes what has been observed.

The second is prescriptive -- it describes how the headless wonder thinks the world should be.

One is useful, the other is bullshit.

While I'm on the subject -- what's red and orange and looks good on a hippie?

Fire.

I'm not saying that all hippies should be set ablaze. I'm saying I like it when I see it. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment