Thursday, February 18, 2016

Why I Don't Believe The Earth is Round

I don't believe the Earth is round.

Why? Well, here's what I know:

I know I was told that the Earth was round by multiple teachers throughout my attendance of public schools, starting with elementary science teachers and continuing with every science teacher afterwards until the time I left.

I know that the Science channel has claimed that it was and generally backs it up with computer generated animations.

I know that I've seen pictures and videos which were claimed to have been taken of a round Earth from what's generally called 'outer space'. (which is a really centrist concept anyway -- 'outer' meaning 'outside EARTH's atmosphere.' )

I know I've heard people who claim to have been astronauts talk about what the experience of seeing Earth from space is like, usually with some poetic reference to a 'delicate sphere' or something like that.

I know I've seen a lot of science fiction movies which represent the Earth as round but then again, they also tend to represent technology as being way beyond the technology available to me. I know I've wondered if the people who made those movies attended a public school.

I know that what's called 'the moon' is sometimes round and that many people claim it's a smaller kind of planet called 'a moon'. Some of those people also claim it has a face and some others of those who claim it's a small planet also say it has a giant rabbit on it. Yet others claim it's made of cheese. I'm not really sure what it is or how big it really is, it's just this thing that's in the sky sometimes.

I know that it's a popular thing to believe and a lot of people believe it.

I know that people tend to get angry to the point of rage when you honestly claim that you personally don't believe the Earth is round.

I know that some arguments have been made that the curvature of the Earth can be measured with some kind of special astronomical instruments and that ships at sea can be seen to disappear over the horizon.

I know I haven't measured the curvature of the Earth using a special instrument or seen a ship disappear over the horizon.

I know I've made absolutely zero effort trying to verify that the Earth is round.

I know I don't believe it isn't round, or have any kind of opinion on it.

I know if I were launching a spaceship or something, I'd take the time to verify whatever shape it was.

I know it's not likely that I'm going to be launching a spaceship anytime soon.  Therefore it's more than likely I can't be bothered to verify or falsify that the Earth is round in the near future , and thus, I know I will continue not to have formed any set beliefs as to whether or not it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment